Most people agree that conservation works best when people who live and work in an area learn to take care of their own natural resources. Established in 1967, Whidbey Island Conservation District is guided by a five-member volunteer board of supervisors and local staff with professional expertise, all of whom have a personal investment and interest in improving the quality of life in their communities on Whidbey Island.
As political sub-divisions of state government, conservation districts provide resources and programs that are voluntary and incentive-based, and available to all interested landowners and residents that live on Whidbey Island. WICD's technical assistance and educational programming is also free, non-regulatory, and can be tailored to meet your conservation goals.
We are the "boots on the ground" here on Whidbey, and WICD strives to be a community resource that empowers landowners to conserve natural resources on their property. Camano Island residents are served by the Snohomish Conservation District.
Meet Our Team of Board & Staff
Staff Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
We are currently closed to visitors & our team is working remotely.
1 NE 4th St. Coupeville, WA 98239
Phone: (360) 678-4708
Fax: (360) 678-2271
Email to wicd(at)whidbeycd.org for general inquiries or request assistance through our online form, or visit our staff page to contact a staff member directly if you know whom you wish to contact.
Public Records Requests:
The Whidbey Island Conservation District complies with the Washington State Public Records Act (RCW 42.56). To initiate a Public Records Request, contact the WICD Public Records Officer: (360) 678-4708, or email HERE.
MEET OUR BOARD
A board of five Supervisors, three elected and two appointed, direct the programs and policies of the Whidbey Island Conservation District. To learn more about the Board and the Conservation District election process, click here to visit the Supervisor Page.
MEET OUR STAFF
Ready to get started?
What to Expect When Requesting Assistance from the Whidbey Island Conservation District
- Our services are free and voluntary, so lots of folks love to work with us, and we look forward to working with you!
- We have 2 staff who assist with satisfying client requests
- We assist requests in the order that they are received
- Please allow for 2 weeks for an initial reply
- General info requests take approximately 1 month to respond to
- New site visit requests to properties are on a 6-month waitlist currently
- Farm, animal, and waste management plans are on a 1-year waitlist currently
- Here is a list of directories and/or organizations which may be able to respond to your request sooner. We can not recommend private sector professionals as a government entity, so have included directories housed by other entities that are populated by the professionals themselves:
- Agriculture & Forestry Professionals Directory via USDA - https://nrcs-sites.secure.force.com/FindaTSP
- Forester & Silvicultural Contractors Directory via WSU Extension - https://bit.ly/3xT2eVJ
- Arborists Directory Pacific NW International Society of Arboriculture - https://bit.ly/37S8YJ6
- Online Learning Module for Understanding Wildfire Threat to Homes - https://bit.ly/3AOeCID
- Environmental Consultants Directory for Wetlands & Wildlife - https://bit.ly/2VZHY7J
- Landscaping / Gardening Consultation with WSU Master Gardener Hotline - https://bit.ly/3CUTodZ
- Island County Noxious Weed Program Coordinator Consultation - https://bit.ly/2VXnHQe
- Construction / Land Development Contractors Directory via SICBA - https://www.sicba.org/list/